Tuesday, May 14, 2019

AM I MY ERA?


AM I MY ERA?




A popular gift I get a lot of email marketing about is to offer a loved one a newspaper of the date of their birth.

What kind of gift is that? I have to wonder.

“So you were born on May 13, 2001, but let’s look at the real happenings of that day”.

A tad insulting if you ask me.

Be that as it may, it is apparently a popular choice of gift these days.

Perhaps the idea was indirectly taken from the marketing concept of “paying special attention to people in the period that they turn 18 
.
If someone’s date of birth or fifth birthday and most importantly entrance into adulthood (18 years usually) are defining moments , then the advertising that would reach them around these moments would be defining too.

Significant moments that would be engraved in their memory and anything associated to those times , such as a tune, would likely trigger a pleasant and nostalgic feeling

I like to believe that regardless of my age I learn to appreciate new things and discover new ideas and horizons continuously. I don't like the thought of me peaking emotionally at  5 or at 18 for that matter..


However I can’t deny that characters, music or other cultural references to the 90s will have me take second or longer look.

It's true that when old time favourite actors show up as guest star on a current show I don't what to miss that one episode.

And I would be lying if I said that any pizza can compare to the one I always ordered in that nice quaint pizza place before Pizza Hut took over the world.

And full disclosure : I’m also one those people that can’t stop asserting that everything was better before.



I’m therefore inclined to believe that this “decade” targeted marketing might actually turn out to be a sensible and successful strategy.






No comments:

Post a Comment