Sunday, April 14, 2019

What Marketing isn’t

What Marketing isn’t 



I didn't quite know where to go with the allocated assignment titled 
"What Marketing is not".

It's clearly not just about fancy ideas, anyone in the field would tell you that much.

I'd rather have worked on a blogpost titled "what marketing Is".

Should I just write about that and change the linking verb to a negative at the end?

Not sure that would work, so I did what anyone else would do in 2019.

I Googled it, and the best I got was :

Marketing is not advertising  

I do not disagree with that statement , but it's a bit trite.

Marketing is not about deceiving or tricking people.

Hmm, now that's food for thought.

I started mulling and came up with a few ideas.

Somewhere in the year 2000 in Raf's mind , marketing was a somewhat abstract concept, if memory serves , I indeed simply equated it with advertising..

So it's fair to assume that this is a perception many people share of the term marketing.

Naturally, us marketing people know that's it's not advertising and certainly not limited to a few TV ads and magazine spreads.

So I'd venture to say that marketing, the job, the study of it , is most assuredly not advertising.

If anything advertising plays but a small part in the long and detailed  marketing process.

It is not selling or getting people to buy your product either

Could we say it's about informing people albeit with an agenda?

Really to define what marketing isn't, I ask myself the following question:

What would the world look like without marketing? If it had never been invented?.

And I think a partial answer can be found in  an old Hollywood  movie I particularly like

The invention of lying directed by Ricky Gervais. In a world without the concept of lying and by extension manipulating,  marketing might not exist,  but advertising and corporate communication probably would.




Marketing is thus, we can all agree,  NOT advertising, but it is a whole lot of other things, some better than others depending on the point of view.

And it's definitely not about the 4 T's, or 4 N's for that matter.






No comments:

Post a Comment